Judging by the title, you may think that this blog was accidentally placed on the wrong Rentokil Initial account but I can assure you it was meant to be here.
When you think of pests, you might think of those pesky flies that bug us during a braai on a hot summer’s day, the creepy crawlies that scurry away when you switch the kitchen light on or the noises coming from the roof, but have you considered the health and hygiene risks associated with pests?
The fact is that pests spread a range of pathogens that can cause a variety of diseases. To name a few;
- Cockroaches can spread diseases like diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Rats can spread salmonellosis and plague.
- Birds can spread a range of diseases including avian influenza and histoplasmosis.
- Flies can spread at least 65 diseases to humans including typhoid fever, tuberculosis and cholera.
Rentokil, the experts in pest control, have a range of resources that can educate you about pests and the risk they pose to your family and business. Have a look at these infographics for a quick overview of three of the culprits that could affect your wellbeing.
You then have to consider the risk of pests to your environment. Along with the serious health risks, pest activity can also lead to a loss in productivity due to absenteeism, unplanned factory shutdowns, the failure of audits and stock losses.
How do keep your environment pest free?
As mentioned in dishing the dirt on pests it’s important to limit pests’ access to their three basic requirements; food, water and harbourage.
- Clean up spilt food and liquids.
- Seal rubbish bins.
- Ensure your home or business is secure by sealing cracks and repairing holes where pests may enter.
- Regularly declutter paying special attention to areas that aren’t frequently used like storerooms and attics.
If you have pest activity on your premises, I would also recommend a pest control survey is conducted by a professional accredited provider in order to put an effective pest control program in place to get rid of the pests. It is also advisable to employ a regular and thorough cleaning regime and to consider a residual disinfection service to reduce the risk of illness associated with pest infestations. If you don’t have a solution in place, why not contact Rentokil for your free pest control survey.
As an additional safeguard, I would also recommend reviewing your hand hygiene habits and training as limiting cross-contamination can also reduce risk within your environment.
For more helpful hygiene tips subscribe to our blog.