Face masks... We're sick of wearing them, seeing them, hearing about them and reading about them. So why would I even consider writing about face masks again? (Especially after reading the very comprehensive post titled "10 things you absolutely need to know about wearing a mask"). I'd like to suggest that we've become complacent to a certain extent and 6 months in, we should do a quick refresh.
To be honest, I was also inspired by a News 18 article that popped up in my news feed titled "Unusual Masks People Are Using To Protect Themselves From COVID-19". I was amused by people's creativity, and also taken aback by some of the less than sanitary options - underwear, cabbage leaves, plastic bags etc.
To me, these homemade mask 'fails' are right up there with crochet masks because global guidelines all point to well-fitted masks made from multiple layers of tightly woven fabric (like quilting fabric) for efficacy.
Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Chief Medical Officer of Health, Government of Alberta, talks about what to look for in a non-medical mask and shares some do's and don’ts of wearing them.
I'd like to reiterate one of Dr Hinshaw's points around the importance of washing your hands before and after handing your mask. We need to remember that touching our mask increases our risk of cross contamination.
And as lockdown has passed the 6 month mark (and everyone is just SO over it all!) it's also the ideal opportunity to re-evaluate your current workplace hygiene and pandemic prevention practices.
Answer the following questions:
- Are you still vigilantly checking temperatures and keeping a register at your reception?
- Are staff and customers still wearing their masks at all times?
- Are staff and customers practising social distancing at all times?
- Do you ever run out of hand washing essentials (like soap and paper) in your office bathroom?
- Do you have adequate hand sanitising stations and stands in your environment - especially near high touch zones like elevator buttons, fingerprint scanners and copiers?
- Do you have a PPE disposal solution?
- Do you regularly disinfect your environment using a disinfection service or with an approved disinfection solution?
- Do you have proper ventilation in your environment or make use of an air purification solution to maintain good air quality?
Feeling comfortable? If you aren't, remember that Initial offers a range of hygiene and disinfection solutions to help you keep your environment healthy and hygienic. Contact us if we can help.