As hygiene experts, we set out on an endeavour to understand how people around the world are viewing hygiene following the global pandemic. We surveyed 20,000 people across 20 countries… here’s what we found.Nobody wants to be THAT Guy.
Globally, people are now more concerned about their health in relation to hygiene, but South Africans numbers (75% to be exact) are far higher than the global average in this regard.
People worldwide have adopted stringent hygiene practices since the pandemic to keep themselves and others safe, and regard hygiene as an increasingly impactful component in daily life. Not only have attitudes shifted, but so have expectations - for themselves, for others, and for venues.
Globally, people said they are more likely to be more concerned now (68%) about the number of pollutants in the indoor air in a public venue. Which means, if you’re that one person walking with your mask under your nose, or who refuses to sanitise… you’re THAT guy.
Here are the hygiene stats all South Africans need to know:
- 84% feel that it’s important for employers to prioritise the creation of a safe and hygienic workplace
- 70% of people surveyed have higher hygiene expectations of themselves because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- 74% said that they are now more concerned that other people’s poor hand hygiene could put their health at risk than before the pandemic
- 74% responded that they are now more aware of germ hotspots than before the pandemic
- 71% agree that they are now more fearful of the spread of germs via the surfaces they touch than before the pandemic
- 74% want reassurance that surfaces they touch are regularly disinfected ( with 54% expecting employers to do so now and into the future)
- 71% of respondents are concerned about whether a venue has adequate measures in place to stop the spread of germs
- 79% of respondents rate indoor air quality as important to their health when visiting a public venue
- 66% are likely to wash their hands more in future to protect against viruses, than they did before the pandemic
- 85% of South Africans said they would sanitise their hands regularly to manage potential risks in the workplace
So, how do you keep from becoming THAT guy?On an individual level, please are looking at those around them to ensure that hygiene standards are being met. Make sure you sanitise, wear your mask properly in public, and always wash your hands. Here are some of our other blogs to give you more insights here:
- Alcohol vs non-alcohol hand sanitiser - which is better?
- How to choose a face mask
- 10 things you absolutely need to know about wearing a mask
- How to wash your hands - learn from the experts
- Our most popular handwashing articles
For the workspace, keep in mind that 76% of South Africans surveyed said that when in an open plan office they are now more likely to open windows and doors where possible. So offer your staff peace of mind with an air purification solution like VIRUSKILLER™.
As a retailer, make sure you offer the right kind of sanitiser and trolley cleaning material to ensure people feel comfortable in your store. We also know that people are tired of all things COVID so why not download our ‘Don’t be that guy’ posters to add some fun to your environment.
Ready to embrace the new normal? Contact us for all your hygiene needs.