Over the past 2 years, I’ve noticed that requests for the outright purchase of hygiene units have become more frequent. Companies are indicating that they prefer to own their hygiene units and have their daily cleaners service these units. Mostly the logic presented is that it’s a once off payment for the units and then we already employ daily cleaners that can fill a dispenser or change paper - ultimately a cost-saving exercise. But is it really a cost-saving exercise or just a perception?
Here are 4 reasons why I think you should consider renting your hygiene units from Initial rather than purchasing them outright;
1. Hygiene unit maintenance and replacement
You may think that buying outright means that you buy the hygiene units and they work for the next 10 years but in reality, this isn’t always the case. Damage and theft are concerns when installing hygiene units, especially in public areas. If you buy your units outright, you will need to consider taking out insurance or budgeting for these possible costs. What if a part breaks? Would you need to replace the whole unit, or are there parts available?
If you rent your units from Initial, we carry this risk and will replace damaged or stolen units at no cost to you. We are also able to identify high-risk areas and may advise you to include anti-theft brackets where required (these aren’t available off the shelf in your local store).
2. Depreciation of hygiene units
A reality of purchasing these units is that once they are acquired, you need to add them to your asset register and then depreciate the units over a number of years. I’m sure you will agree, there is nothing more heartbreaking than making a significant investment in something and then having to watch it lose value. With a rental option, managing depreciation and keeping tabs on the units lies with Initial. We look after your hygiene so you can focus on your business.
3. Servicing of the hygiene units
- Pilferage: Some of our new customers comment that their hygiene products seem to last longer and that their spend is more consistent month to month. With a rental option, we help you monitor usage trends so that we can advise when your business may be at risk.
- Following of standard operating procedure: It may seem simple to top up a hygiene unit with its consumable but have your staff been trained on how to ensure correct dosage, how to clean the unit or how to service it? Some things aren’t common sense and if your units are not looked after correctly you could shorten the lifespan of the unit or end up with unforeseen product failures.
- Cross contamination: Remember that by topping up your soap dispensers you are increasing your risk of cross contamination between the old soap and the new. I recommend you look at hygienically sealed refills or ensuring your soap reservoir is professionally cleaned and refilled.
Initial is passionate about hygiene and willing to work with you to ensure your daily cleaning team’s routine is enhanced and complemented by our hygiene service for optimal hygiene standards and peace of mind in your bathrooms.
4. Technology and trends
At Initial, we have a dedicated central research and development team with local country technical managers, which ensure our customers have access to the latest services and technology. By having your units on rental, you benefit from a team of experts who provide you with the best combination of products to ensure your hygiene requirements are covered.
Whether you prefer to rent or buy your hygiene units is a company decision. I recommend you carefully weigh up your options and consult with the experts in hygiene to ensure you make an informed decision that will provide you with peace of mind.
Get in touch and book your free survey.
For more helpful hygiene information like this, subscribe to our blog. We'll send you all of our latest blog content straight to your inbox - that way you'll never miss a post!